Useful Information

At EachStep Care we know how difficult it can be when choosing a residential or nursing home for a loved one, particularly understanding the how care will be funded and who is eligible for support from the local authority.

This section is designed to provide a brief overview of how care and support for older people can be accessed and funded. For a more in-depth guide on how to arrange the support of a care provider or access the funding you may be entitled to, we recommend that you speak to your local social services department or visit the following advice websites listed at the end of this section

Accessing an Older People's Care Home

Accessing an Older People's Care Home

For most people, the first step towards accessing a care home will begin with an assessment of their needs by their local Social Services department. If the assessment identifies that you , or your loved one, needs permanent residential or nursing support, your social worker will provide you with a list of local homes that will be able to support your needs. If you are privately paying for the cost of your care you do not need to involve a social worker.

You, or a loved one / advocate, should visit these homes so you can decide which one you would like to live in and would best meet your needs. We recommend that you visit at least four care homes before you make any decision, no appointment is necessary to visit a care home, unless you would like to specifically meet with the home manager during the visit, then an appointment may be necessary.


Your social worker will undertake a means assessment, which will determine whether you will receive funding towards the costs of your care. The amount of money you will need to contribute towards the costs of your care depends upon your assets – including your savings and the value of your home (if you own it). If you own a home that your spouse or civil partner still lives in, this will not be used towards paying for your care

The amount you will need to contribute depends upon where your assets fall within the thresholds below:

Threshold England Scotland
Higher Limit £23,250 £28,000
Lower Limit £14,250 £17,500

If you have assets above the value of the Higher Limit they will be used to pay for all of the costs of your care until they fall below the higher limit. If the value of your assets is between the higher and lower limits, you will be required to make a contribution towards the costs of your care, with Social Service paying the remainder. The amount of this contribution will depend upon the overall value of your assets. Once the value of your assets reaches the lower threshold, they will not be used to pay towards the costs of your care.

If you require nursing care, the nursing element of your fees will be paid by the local authority regardless of these thresholds. Any income you receive, such as benefits or pension, will be used to contribute towards the costs of your care, except for a Personal Allowance of around £25 per week.

If you are interested in accessing a EachStep Care Home, we are happy to provide you with further advice and information.


Age UK

Age UK is a charity that provides help and advice to older people it can provide a range of information to help you choose the right care home and advice on paying for care

Visit Age UK website


Healthwatch is an independent national champion for people who use health and social care services. The following link provides advice to help you choose a care home.

Visit Healthwatch Website


For more information about our Residential Care Services, get in touch:

Fill out our contact form